Friday 20 February 2009

Astrid Stavro

Studio Astrid Stavro is an independent, multi-disciplinary design and communication consultancy based in Barcelona. Of which, i visited armed with my portfolio in November 08. 

"We believe in ideas-distinctive, intelligent design that makes a difference and solves problems effectively".

The studio is responsible for the creative direction of the international music competition 'Maria Canals', Arcadia's corporate image/book collections, exhibition graphics and catalogues for Palau Robert, the guide design for the permanent art collection of the Reina Sofia museum, in addition to a vast European based client folio.

Originally i thought that there may be some sort of language barrier between myself and the designers, but surprisingly they spoke better English than me. The creative director Astrid studied at Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design, 2000-2003, The Royal College of Art, 2003-2005 and was an extremely approachable women. As i arrived at the studio early (after getting lost several times) i was greeted by designer Edward Barcelon who invited me in for a bru and showed me some of Astrids work and the projects he was currently working on (very interesting). The portfolio viewing itself went well and they specifically liked the book/magazine medium that i adopted for the folio. I asked if anything needed to be modified as it was my 2nd year portfolio and they both gave some useful advise and pointers to develop.

* Any boxes encasing the work e.g poster, ideas generation etc should be a maximum of 2pt to ensure the layout aesthetic doesn't destract from the work.
* Logo's, brand identity's should be pushed in a sense of application.
* Personal work such as my screen prints and typography generation may be read better at the back of the folio after set projects.
* Produce more work outside of college to stir the creative juices.

I will take the advise they gave on board fully when i aspire to produce my 3rd year portfolio. We also exchanged email addresses so that we can keep in contact. I will also send them a PDF copy of my final show.

Below are some examples of Astrid's work.


'Maria Canals' poster, international piano competition

Palau de la musica 100 anniversary

Studio postcard (they gave me one as a present)

The graphic identity for the 'forum laus Europe'

Syzygn poster, art directors club of Europe


Astrid occasionally write design articles and reviews for magazines such as Grafik, Visual and Etapes. 

No comments: